Tuesday, January 11, 2011

gringos need mayo

As I mentioned before, mayo is essential to authentic Southern cuisine. Soy Floridian, but I was raised in a southern household (all three sides are from southern mississippi) and I love grapeseed oil veganaise. Here my favorite mayo recipe is:

Tostones y Southern Style Mojo

1 green plantain
1/4 cup veganaise
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 lime
1 fistful cilantro
safflower oil

Heat the pan and oil to medium high and cut plantain into 4-5 stout bits. They need flat ends to stand on. Stand the plantains up in the pan until both sides are golden and the middle feels kind of squishy. In the meantime, chop up the garlic and cilantro and combine with the veganaise and the juice from the lime. SMASH plantains with something wide and flat like a plate. Make sure there is plenty of oil in the pan and put the plantains back in. I like to fry the shit out of them until they are super crunch and just about transparent from the amount of oil they have soaked up. Maybe paper towel them, and be generous with the mojo. Feeds one.



I prefer a 1:1 ratio of tostones to garic cloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment