Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cold weather can do funny things to a knitter

It is still regularly 85f in the afternoons here in Central Florida although today may be the turning point. I spent Thanksgiving break at Horse Pens 40 in northern Alabama with three cold people that I love, a skein of supersaver we got at Walmart, around 100 grams of unknit wool of different ilks and colors, and a small camping knit-kit (US7&9 DPNS, yarn scissors and needle). What happened that weekend was a massive amount of knitting and a knew knitter. Let me try to show you.




First I needed a hat and some fingerless mitts I could possibly climb in. HP40 is full of sticky slopers so I ended up needing my entire hand and rarely climbed in them. That hat got felted down a bit when I got home.



We got freezing rain Thanksgiving night and the requests poured in. I recruited help and taught a loom-knitter how to knit with needles. Here she is posing with a Hiya Hiya bamboo DPN on Lookout Point. I love this picture.



Her first project! A garter square sewn up the sides so she can have fingerless mitts, too, without having to fuss with a thumb gusset. Since she had her hands covered I could worry about her toes. The poor thing only brought cotton socks. So I doubled up all my wool scraps:



Then a headband:



And something fun on the long ride home with a matching locksock (not pictured)



The new knitter also got a ruffly drop stitch hat from the rest of the super saver. After that I put down my needles and slept because we were all wearing something I knit on our heads and my hands needed rest after climbing and knitting for 5 days straight.


Boulders are suitable runways. More on that dress later.

2 comments: